First, the supplies. You will need:
1. A transparent jar or bottle with a lid that seals well. (Make sure it is clean and empty of dust)
2. Cotton balls
3. Glitter (silver tends to look best)
5. Food Coloring or fabric dye. You can use whatever colors you like, but hues of purple, blue and pink are easiest to work with the first time since they blend together well.
6. A pencil or narrow stick that you don’t mind getting dye on
7. Additional jars/ bowls for mixing colors
8. A funnel (Optional)
9. Glue and clear nail polish (Optional)
Pour some water into one of your mixing cups and mix up your first color. Stir it with the pencil and tweak it until you get a hue that you like.
uIsing the funnel to make sure you don't spill, pour the color mixture about a quarter or a third of the way up in the jar. It is okay if you have extra - you can use it later for another layer or another jar.
Now, add some of your cotton balls to the water mixture. The amount you will need depends on the size of your jar, but you want to make sure that the cotton balls are completely soaked in water. Press them down with your pencil if needed. Then sprinkle some glitter into the mix and shake or stir with the pencil slightly. It should look something like this.
Now, place more cotton balls on top of the first layer. Mix up another color of dye in a separate bowl. Pick one that is different than the first color because they will mix. (Example: if the first was blue, use pink instead of a lighter shade of blue.) Once mixed, slowly pour it over the second layer of cotton balls and add more glitter and mix with the pencil.
Keep repeating this step until you have filled your bottle. Leave about half an inch from the top edge of the jar, more if you have a cork stopper. If you are using a cork stopper, seal the bottom of the cork with clear nail polish to prevent it from soaking up the dye.